sign in help
~ Grape Growing Information ~

Proper Cleanup of Pesticide Spills
Spills when handling, transporting or using pesticides are a concern for every grower. But by knowing what to do if a spill occurs, whether it's on your property or on the road, you can help minimize the risk and prevent ground water and surface water contamination.

- Control the Spill -

Control the spill as quickly as possible by restoring the container to it's upright position, closing a leaking valve or hose or putting a secondary container in place to catch the leak. Of course, appropriate personal safety equipment should be used, such as rubber gloves, rubber boots and eye protection.

- Call your Retailer -

Call your retailer for advice on cleanup of their chemical. They will also give you special safety advice and other information.

- Control the Spread -

Control the spread of the spill when the leak has been stopped by creating soil dams in the path of the spilled liquid. It may be most important to first divert a spill away froma nearby pond or stream and then attempt to stop the leak or spill. This is a judgement call that only you can make.

- Begin Cleanup -

Begin cleanup as soon as the situation has been stabilized. Quick action on your part to clean up a spill is not only required in many states, but will prevent the chemical from leaching or washing away in a rainstorm.

- Absorbent Materials -

Use absorbent materials on pavement or concrete to capture the spilled liquids. They can then be shoveled or swept. Non-chlorinated pet litter is an excellent, inexpensive absorbent material to keep on hand for such purposes.

- Disposal -

Properly dispose of the drenched soil or absorbent material. This will depend on what and how much was spilled and the rules for disposal in your state. Contact state or local officials or your retailer for legally accepted disposal options.

Report the spill (if required), before it threatens public health or the environment.

If the spill is large or enters a waterway, you'll need to call the local EPA office, the local planning office or the state health department. The reporting criteria vary with the chemical spilled, so ask your dealer to check the Material Safety Data Sheet or call the manufacturer for further details.

  • EPA Hazadous Waste Hotline: 800-424-9346
  • EPA Safe Drinking Water Hotline: 800-426-4791
  • Chemtrec Emergency Hotline: 800-424-9300
  • Cehmicals Referral Center: 800-262-8200
  • National Agricultural Chemicals Associaition: 202-296-1585

Maryland Grape Growers Association ©2017