Upcoming Regional Events
Virginia Association of Professional Soil Scientists 2018 Fall Conference - Barren Ridge Vineyards
Date: November 1-2, 2018
• Learn the importance of vineyard soils with respect to grape and wine quality from the perspectives of noted soil scientists, geologists, viticulturists, winegrowers, and winemakers.
• More at: http://vapss.org/
• NOTE: Hosted by Barren Ridge Vineyards, Fishersville, VA.
American Wine Society National Conference
Date: November 1-3, 2018
• Fun pre-conference events and knock-your-socks-off conference sessions. Oh, yeah, and a TON of amazing wine.
• NOTE: Hyatt Regency, Buffalo, New York
Yearly MGGA Events
This event offers a wealth of business and technical information for those with existing vineyards and/or wineries as well as those who are considering establishing a vineyard or winery. Speakers include industry leaders from across the mid-Atlantic region covering both the practical science and the business aspects of running a vineyard and/or winery.
Each spring we host a series of pruning clinics, each with a particular lesson or example for review. Held at different vineyards throughout the state, everyone gets a hands-on, up-close look at different pruning techniques. In addition, general grape growing topics are discussed, such as variety selection, various training methods, pest management, etc.
Summer Field Day
These events - usually held at a members' vineyard and/or winery - include discussions on viticultural issues facing Maryland grape growers. Everyone enjoys and benefits from the vineyard tour, where Q&A on all aspects of grape growing are discussed by local experts.
From time to time we also host new vineyard planting clinics, crop estimating seminars, and harvest socials.